1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? Gave birth to my beautiful baby boy. Completed year 1 of 2 of my fellowship. Function surprisingly well despite chronic sleep deprivation.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't make resolutions. I have short and long term goals that I make throughout the year. I actually purposefully avoiding making new year's resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I had my first baby. My uncle and his wife had a baby girl. My aunt in Jamaica had a baby boy. My male cousin in Jamaica had a baby girl. A few of my co-workers and hubby's co-workers had babies. A few of my blogging buds had babies.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Unfortunately, yes. My maternal grandma died on Thanksgiving day (unexpected in Jamaica). My husband's paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather died. One of our friends (early 30s, had a baby this year) died a few months ago. It's been a challenging year when it came to losing family and friends.
5. Did you visit anywhere exciting? We rented a cabin over the summer for a few days with our little baby. My mother was with us so she kept the baby while we hiked and went white water rafting. We also hung out in the mountains of Highlands, NC for a few days too (later in the year). We visited family in Florida for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's always great seeing family.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? MORE SLEEP. Balancing my life better. More alone time with my husband. A real vacation (maybe with hubby alone--still trying to decide about that one). Better diet. An exercise routine. I guess I want a lot, huh?
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? February 4--the date my little boy was born. He came 8 days early but I was so happy to see my healthy bundle of joy (and energy).
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Having my son!
9. What was your biggest mistake? Giving in to mommy guilt. Not realizing earlier that many things in life (especially challenges) are seasonal.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No but I had a medical scare. After my 6 week postpartum check up I was told I had cervical dysplasia (precancerous cells on pap smear). A repeat was done a few months later which was completely normal. Apparently, it's not completely uncommon for abnormal cells to show up on pap smear postpartum due to scar tissue from delivery. When I first heard the news all I could think of was my baby being without his mommy (I know, I'm a bit dramatic). Anyway, I'm very thankful it was nothing.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Besides the Baby Bjorn baby carrier that I toted my little one in for months, I would say the I-pad I bought for my grandma. She can Facetime us, take pics, receive pics listen to her favorite radio stations and other music, play games, make videos. She was very happy to receive it.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My baby boy and my baby daddy. LOL. My son is so awesome. He's a joy. He's sweet and smiley, cuddly and wiggly, giggly and a ball of energy. I just love watching him achieve his milestones and explore his environment. It amazes me that he behaves so well, especially in public. I love that kid. My husband has also been awesome. I feel very blessed. He's a great husband and a wonderful father. I couldn't ask for more.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? A few news events were appalling. No one in my personal life.
14. Where did most of your money go in 2011? TAXES and educational debt. Kidding. Well, not really. We bought a lot of baby stuff too.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? MY BABY and being the best mom I could be. I was so excited about expanding our family and meeting the new addition. I must say that all the excitement was not in vain. He was so worth waiting for. He's just lovely.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012? I unfortunately don't have one. I was thinking really hard but couldn't come up with anything.
17. Compared to this time last year, you are: More comfortable because I'm not big and pregnant. No longer nauseated because I'm not pregnant. Not experiencing indigestion because I'm not pregnant. More sleep deprived despite not being pregnant (thanks to my rugrat). Still disorganized (pregnancy brain has turned into mommy brain).
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Sleep. Spend time with my extended family. Exercise.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying about everything (man, being a new mom makes an already neurotic person really crazy).
20. How did you spend Christmas? With my extended family in Orlando. It was great celebrating baby K's first Christmas. I am so thankful for all that I've been blessed with.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? YES, with my baby boy. It was instant. I'm still in love. I love looking in those big brown eyes of his :)
22. What was your favorite TV program? I don't usually watch TV but this year after we put baby K to bed, we've been watching Law and Order SVU and NCIS (old and new). We hardly let the little guy watch TV but the few times it's on, it's on Nick Jr.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope!
24. What was the best book you read? Sadly, I don't usually read for leisure. In the past the answer would be some school related book. This time it's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, MD.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? XM radio.
26. What did you want and get? A healthy little boy. I also got joy and peace. A new SUV.
27. What did you want and not get? Nothing really, I'm pretty content. It feels good to be content.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 30, I can't remember. My baby was 2 months old. I was sleep deprived.
29. What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I wouldn't change a thing, not even my losses and challenges. Actually, that's not true. It would have been better if I worried less.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? The year started out with me being big and pregnant in my third trimester. My go-to outfit were dresses (which looked like shirts on my pregnant body), tights and boots. Immediately post pregnancy I was able to fit in my pre-pregnancy jeans but I wore bigger, baggier shirts. The year ended with me wearing more dresses and skirts, colorful skinny pants, and more fitted shirts.
31. What kept you sane? Prayer and my faith. My husband. My family and their prayers. Having a reliable loving caregiver for my child. Having a flexible and understanding boss.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? None really.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? I'm not very political. And if I was, I probably wouldn't comment about my opinion on this blog or any other public forum.
34. Who do you miss the most? My mother. I wish she lived in the US but I know she loves living in Jamaica.
35. Who was the best new person you met? My son, obviously. My life will never be the same, which is good.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012? I have to do what's best for my family (which sometimes mean disappointing nonfamily members, seeming rude, reminding others of how valuable my time is, being less OCD, being more chill)
37. What are your new years resolutions for 2013? I don't make new year's resolutions but I do make short and long term goals throughout the year.