Tuesday, September 6, 2011

iLike: fun-filled family weekends

Last weekend my dad and my nephew visited us and we had a great time.  My husband and I love visitors (so much that we constantly invite random strange people into our home).  OK, just kidding.  We are not that bad but we do like it when people visit (especially family).  Growing up, my dad and I weren't very close and our conversations have always been very brief.  I think that was because we didn't know what to say to each other.  Anyway, last weekend was different.  We all (hubby, my nephew, dad and I) were kind of  locked inside due to bad weather.  My husband was busy with work stuff for part of the time and my nephew was exploring the house, playing with the cat and doing other random things.  My dad and I talked for a looooong time about eeeeverything and it was great.  Hubby even commented about how glad he was that my dad and I got to really chat.  Another highlight of the weekend was when my dad cooked curry chicken for us for dinner.  It was so good (especially with the dumplin' and banana to compliment it).

This past weekend (labor day weekend) my husband's parents came to visit us.  They drove 11 hours from Florida.  (I know we felt really special).  His parents are awesome.  They are hilarious and very down to earth people.  We did so much with them in so little time.  Because they are in such great shape we took them hiking (with the dogs too) and I think they liked it.  They had to do some climbing on rocks and hopping over water but they were troopers and didn't complain.  Every time I visit with my husband's family, I learn so much more about him and it helps me understand him better.  His mom really adores him (his dad too, but you know how moms are).  I enjoyed hearing about some of the stories from his childhood and hearing them made me love and value him even more.

Overall, I think the past 2 weekends have been very refreshing for both of us (hubby and I).  I hope you have had a great weekend too :)

Mrs. K

8 comments:

  1. Daddy-daughter relationship is very important. It is nice that you guys were able to chat. Your dad cooks too? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable weekend. We spent ours with my husband's parents. I love to get together with them, they're so fun and energetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love family visits especially from parents! That's great and it sounds like you've settled in your new surroundings:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay I think I need the recipe for the dumpling and banana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sooo neat that you had a lot of time to visit with family. And that your in-laws are fit enough to do something that you guys enjoy too! Sweet that you got to chat it up with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great. I'm not that close to my dad either and there was even a period of time I wasn't speaking to him. I decided to get over it and let him back into my life. Things have been much better this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great. I'm not that close to my dad either and there was even a period of time I wasn't speaking to him. I decided to get over it and let him back into my life. Things have been much better this way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. waving, waving, waving!!

    Hi Mrs K! I miss you ... so good to get an update although i am a few days late!

    glad you were able to have visitors and see familiar faces ... i know how important that is when you are in a new place.

    sounds like the perfect way to spend weekends, with family! :)

    ReplyDelete

I gladly welcome your comments/questions/requests/ suggestions. You may leave them here at any time. Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails