Thursday, September 16, 2010

Would you let a friend or associate be your Ob Gyn?

I have been on the hunt for a great Ob Gyn.  And, it's about time!  Now that I'm seriously thinking more about pregnancy and have already even started taking prenatal vitamins, I figure now would be a good time to get my check-up.  Disclaimer: I am not trying to get pregnant right now, I'm just trying to get as much in order as I can, hence the prenatal vitamins.  

(Cringing).  It's been 2 years since my last visit (I know that's horrible and I know better).  I just do not like going, almost as much as I hate going to the dentist.  Am I the only one with this problem?

I have a few friends who are Ob Gyns or soon-to-be Ob Gyns.  In the past we've joked and laughed about them delivering my baby.  But for real, would I really let a friend or an associate inspect my vajayjay and other lady parts :)?  I'm not so sure.  Didn't I mention I was fairly private?  Where we live right now, thankfully I have only 1 friend who is an Ob Gyn.  I love the group that she works with.  Their motto is "for women by women."  From talking with her and others they seem to possess some of the qualities that I would want my Ob Gyn to have.

I have basically narrowed it down to choosing an Ob Gyn from my friend's group.  I've done my investigation and all the ladies seem well qualified.  Most people I have spoken with seem to prefer Dr. B or my friend.  After much consideration, I've decided to go with the other doctor.  I thought it would be just too weird for me to have seen my friend at a barbecue the week before then being completely "open" (if you know what I mean) to her the next week at the office.

I called the office today to get an appointment with Dr. B but I guess she is "hot commodity" because the days she can see me are very limited.  They seem to conflict some with my schedule so I have to figure something out.  Not quite sure what I'm going to do, but I've basically made up my mind about this.  I've not spoken with my friend about this yet, but I know she won't mind.  I'm sure I'm not her only friend to have this problem.  I mean she's my girl and we're cool, but...It's not about her, it's about me!  For something that private, I don't feel bad about my choice at all.  What do you think?  What would you do?

Oh, by the way, although Dr. B is "hot commodity" I hear that she is very available to her patients, so I'm not terribly worried about her not being able to dedicate much time to my care.

Mrs. K

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Several of my friends are Ob-Gyn's in training and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to have them as my regular Ob-Gyn. I'd like some anonymity from my Ob-Gyn. I don't want them inspecting my lady parts one day and then hanging out with me at a happy hour the next day. Talk about awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am with you on this one.... With the amount of visits you'll be having when pregnant, it's much better to keep friends and healthcare providers separate. It's good to have OBs as friends to obtain some reassurance about concerns or questions, but totally different to have them as your primary care giver during such a delicate time. My OB/Gyn is actually a male physician, and it took me quite some time to get used to the idea... I weighed my pros and cons (length of time and history with my OB versus switching to a new practice with 2 females and 2 males with hopes that a female physician is on-call the day I pop) thus decided to stick with the team I already know and have built a relationship with over the years. Miami needs more female OBs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I could have my friend being my OB/GYN it would be weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...would definitely keep them separate! Strange this is, for the most part, I've always had a male gyno. I just think men would be less likely to gossip about their work. Not to say that women gossip too much, but could you imagine what they would talk to their friends and husbands/boyfriends about the various vajajays they see on a regular basis? I'm sure they're not always pretty or (gasp!) clean! Ok, I'm officially grossed myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a tough one because people outside of their work place talk about their clients (if not by name at least by discriptions) so that might be a touchy issue if at a dinner party she started telling a story about a client that reminded you a lot of yourself, completly forgetting herself after a few bubblies:-) That's a good questoin but i would say "no", friends should remain friends, i would ask my friend questions and advice but i would have an ob-gyn that was not my friend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys for all your comments. I see that the consensus is to not have a friend be one's ob gyn. Yeah, I don't think I would be able to get over the awkwardness.
    @Alexandria--I didn't even think about all the visits during pregnancy--good point.
    @Melissa--you are too funny

    ReplyDelete

I gladly welcome your comments/questions/requests/ suggestions. You may leave them here at any time. Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails